Each appeal type will vary depending on your condition; however there are averages in some cases that will give you an idea of how likely you are to be successful in your appeal efforts when trying to gain disability. Every disability case is different, so there is no surefire way to know your chances before filing an appeal. However, it is true that with almost every new appeal stage, your overall chances of success do improve. Additionally, it is important to note that most state officials will review your case on paper before you ever step foot in a hearing office or SSA office for your official appeal and decision.
Here are the two most important stats to note when looking at your chances of approval:
- 85% of reconsiderations are denied.
- Once you have reached the hearing level, more than 50% of ALJ hearings will see the disability claimant winning their hearing.
Overall, the chances you have at winning the appeal can be affected by several factors. Here are five of the most important ones:
- If your condition has worsened over time, and since your last appeal.
- If you have provided new medical evidence and paperwork to the SSA since your last appeal.
- If you have contacted the disability examiner and updated your examiner regarding recent medical visits since your last appeal.
- If you have complied with any request issued by Disability Determination Services or an Administrative Law Judge since your last appeal.
- If you attended your ALJ hearing unaccompanied by a disability attorney.
For those looking to significantly increase their chances at a successful appeal, hiring a disability attorney can raise their chances by a whopping 60%. While it does not guarantee a win, hiring an attorney can help you feel assured that you have the correct documentation filed, and the right evidence presented. By doing this, you will be much more likely to convince SSA officials or an ALJ that you are in need of disability benefits to sustain a decent life.
Want to work with a great security disability lawyer in Ohio? If so, consider contacting James Mitchell Brown. To begin your journey toward a stable, and healthier life, please contact us at your convenience to set up a free consultation.